Sunday, December 19, 2010

Green Bean Casserole

I have always wanted to make green bean casserole, but I wanted it to be unlike the ordinary green bean casserole that everyone makes. Everyone makes the kind with the soup and the "French Onions" on top. This casserole is delicious! However, I wanted to try something slightly different and it was a success. I would alter a few things if I made it again. However, I think it is definitely worth sharing.

Ingredients:

1 lb. bag of frozen green beans (I got mine at Aldis!)
1 cup chopped onion
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream (The healthy alternative to sour cream is "Greek Yogurt" if you are looking for a substitute. It is better than plain yogurt because it is much thicker and helps keep a similar texture.)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups box stuffing

First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees before you get started. Then, put the green beans in a 9 by 13 pan. I use Pyrex glass pans and they work great. Before you put the green beans in the pan, you may want to rinse them off and make sure they are thawed.


Then, in a large skillet/pot you will start to sauté the onions in some melter butter. You will continue to do this until the onions are nice and soft! Then, add the flour in with the onions and butter. Then add the milk, and bring this mixture to a boil. Once it is brought to a boil add the cheese, sour cream, sugar, and salt. Continue to stir it until it is a nice thick cheese sauce. Then, pour the mixture over the green beans in the pan.


Then, you will top it with a layer of the stuffing. I tried the stuffing because I had never done it before. You can also top it with the "French Onions," corn flakes, or nothing. I personally like a little crunch with my green beans.



Then, you will just stick it in the oven for 25-30 minutes and take it out. ENJOY! you never thought you could make casserole from scratch! Now you can! :)

*I forgot to take a picture when it was done... but it was delicious looking with all crunchy brown stuffing on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment