Saturday, November 6, 2010

Beef Stroganoff

Alright, I know in previous posts, I have mentioned God's gifts to women... BOX MIXES. However, you always feel better and your self worth increases two notches who you make things from scratch. So, I decided that I was going to make BEEG STROGANOFF from scratch! So, I did... and it turned out splendidly. 

I found a recipe and then tweaked it. I also cut the recipe in half and I had enough to feed a family of four easily. So... here is the version I used, which is what you all want to know anyway. 

Ingredients: 
1/2 bag egg noodles (bags come in 12 oz)
1 can of mushrooms (you can use fresh if you want, I used can and it turned out great)
1 small onion chopped
1/4 cup melted butter
1 lb. ground beef
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup sour cream
salt and pepper

Side note: When I made this it was very meaty, which I like. So, if you want more sauce... just put in less meat and it will be cheaper that way too. :)

First, you will boil your egg noodles on the stove, just like any pasta! Easy! I always add a little bit of olive oil, so that they do not stick together.

Next, you will chop your onion up and saute it in a skillet. I put the butter in with it to sauté. If you use fresh mushrooms you would put them in the skillet at the same time. However, I used can, so I put them in with the onions when the onions were almost done (soft). I did this so that the mushrooms would not get soggy. 

In another skillet add the beef and brown it until it is done. Then, mix in the flour, and beef broth. Stir it until it starts to thicken up. Then, add the onion and mushroom mixture and stir in the sour cream. Add salt and pepper on top. Continue cooking it until it is hot and warm, but do not boil it. 

Once the egg noodles are done, drain them and then pour everything on top. :) DONE! Serve it with some salad and bread for a yummy meal. 



This is not the best picture! This was the leftovers. It was so good and I was so excited about cooking that I forgot to take pictures of the process. 


No comments:

Post a Comment