Saturday, September 11, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

If there is one thing I love it is potatoes, bacon, cheese, and soup. So, why not mix it all together? :) One thing I will try to do is give you all the ingredients and the correct amounts of each. However, I constantly find myself putting a pinch of this here, or a shake of this there. So, I may use those terms instead of the actual terms. Feel free to modify recipes, that is how we will all become great cooks.

Ingredients:
5 red potatoes
1/2 cup carrots (chopped)
1/2 cup celery (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
5 pieces of bacon
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup half and half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon basil

First you need to wash and cut your red potatoes. I did not skin my potatoes for this recipe, but it is totally your preference. I would say leave the skin on. It adds a little color and character. :) Once you have cut the potatoes into cubes, place them in a pot and fill with water, until the potatoes are completely covered. Begin to boil the potatoes until they are soft.

In the mean time, put your bacon in the skillet. Once the bacon is cooked, drain it on a paper towel and leave the bacon grease in the pan. Put your basil, carrots, onions, and celery into the bacon grease and sauté  until soft. I added the celery last, so that it would be a little crunchy when finished. :) Feel free to add a little minced garlic as well. Once the potatoes are somewhat soft, dump out about 1/4 of the water. Then add the chicken broth and the veggies to the potatoes. Continue to cook until the potatoes have softened. Then add the half and half and crumbled pieces of bacon. You are almost done. Pour some in a bowl. Feel free to add sour cream, cheese, more bacon, parsley, and chives to garnish. :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment