Sunday, September 12, 2010

Pot Roast or Roast in a Pot?

Meat and Potatoes and a few other veggies...

Ingredients:

1 Cup Water
1 Cup Beef Broth (optional)
1 1/2 Teaspoon Mrs. Dash Seasoning (Buy it at the store, it will be an investment for every recipe!)
1 onion (chopped)
4 stalks celery (chopped)
2 handfuls of carrots (I use chips! However, you can use baby carrots, or cut some large ones.)
 I package of "Savory Pot Roast" Mix (This is what I found at the store! You could make up your own, if you choose)

Everyone loves a little meat and potatoes in their diet, so why not add a few more veggies as well! With a busy schedule, everyone wants to figure out a meal that he/she can cook and not watch and stir every two minutes! So, this was my first attempt at making pot roast! 

I am a beginner cook, so my first step was going to the store (Walmart) and picking out the meat! I honestly did not know what type of meat to buy. It is called pot roast, and no animal is given the name pot! I decided to go with some Rump Roast. In simple terms, I bought the butt of a cow! The first thing I did was get out a large skillet and start browning the meat. Obviously the meat was in a huge lump, so I had to cut it in pieces! I also added some Worcheshire sauce while I was browning the meat! According to Anna Carter, this is the only sauce you need in the kitchen for cooking! I bought this bottle at the Dollar Tree. :)




While the meat was browning, I skinned and cut up seven red potatoes. I cut each potato into fourths. However, you can do this however you want. You can also leave the skin on, if you wish. It adds a little character. As I was growing up, we ate many things in large pieces, I guess our family had large mouths? 





During this time, I also cut up the celery and onions. I added the onions to the crock pot, with 1 cup of water and the seasoning package. The crock pot, should be set on the lowest setting! 

Once the roast was brown on all sides, I put it into the crock pot along with the onion. I let these two ingredients bond together for about an hour, until I interrupted the party with the celery, carrots, and 1 cup of beef broth, just to add some more flavor! I then shook in some Mrs. Dash as well. 




Then, the carrots, celery, broth, water, seasoning, rump roast, and onions all had an exclusive party for 8 hours on low! When the 8 hours was up, you are ready to enjoy! 

This is a great dish to start in the morning and eat for dinner!





No comments:

Post a Comment